Overall: 3 3/4 x 9 1/2 x 8 5/8 in. ( 9.5 x 24.1 x 21.9 cm )
written: on adhevise collector's label on bottom of colander: "74 / Swiss"
Wheelthrown cylindrical vessel, pierced all over base, with sculpted flange handles, and three pad feet; incised bands near foot and rim; interior splashed with iron oxide and banded near rim in white, central date painted in white with scrolling foliage, under lead glaze.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
Purchased from C. Vandevere Howard, New York City, 1925; The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.