Overall: 98 x 161 x 52 in. ( 248.9 x 408.9 x 132.1 cm )
Door panels and the front and the rear of the body bear the Beekman coat-of-arms.
With its luxurious enclosed body and accommodation for liveried driver and footman, the horse-drawn coach was the prestige vehicle of the eighteenth century. New York merchant James Beekman acquired this coach in 1771. It was the crown jewel in his fleet of carriages that already included a chaise, chariot, and phaeton. Beekman's account book records that he purchased the coach for £138, and made additional expenditures for painting the family arms on the doors and varnishing the surface.
Gift of Gerard Beekman
Donor is great-grandson of the Honorable James Beekman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024