Clay tobacco pipe fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 3/4 x 7/8 in. ( 4.4 x 2.2 cm )
Clay tobacco pipe fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; bowl fragment.
This pipe fragment was excavated in 1917 by Reginald P. Bolton, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. It was stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue in Manhattan. The absence of tobacco residue inside the bowl indicates that the pipe had not been smoked.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.