Clay pipes (5) excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and cam
largest: 2 x 3/8 x 1/2 in. ( 5.1 x 1 x 1.3 cm )
stamped: (371), on heel: "WG"
Clay tobacco pipes excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan; includes plain and ornamented bowl, stem, and heel fragments; one heel fragment is inscribed with a maker's mark.
These clay pipe fragments were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.