Clay pipe fragments (44)
Fragment (largest): 5 1/2 x 3 x 3/4 in. (14 x 7.6 x 1.9 cm)
stamped: (4), on heel of bowl: "RT" stamped: (8), on bowl: "RT" stamped: (10), on stem: "W MORGAN LIVERPOOL" stamped: (12), on bowl: "TD" stamped: (15), on bowl: "WG" stamped: (18), on bowl: "WM" stamped: (22), on bowl: "TD"; on heel: "WG" stamped
Group of 44 clay pipe fragments excavated at various Revolutionary War campsites in Manhattan and elsewhere; includes plain and ornamented stems and bowls; some inscribed with maker's mark.
These clay pipe fragments were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at several Revolutionary War-era military campsites and Colonial farmhouses. Excavation sites included Bennet Avenue, 210th Street, and at the Dyckman and Nagel farmhouses.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.