Plaster of Paris, paint
Overall: 8 3/4 x 4 x 5 3/4 in. ( 22.2 x 10.2 x 14.6 cm )
painted: on front of base: "BOW WOW" handwritten in pencil: on inner edge of base: "691 / Amer"
Chalkware dog with red ears and mouth and black cheeks; upper body is textured and painted green; dog sits on rectangular base which is decorated with a band of yellow with red and green spots and inscription, "BOW WOW."
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.