Cartridge Box badge depicting crown and "26" of the British 26th Regiment of Foot, War of the Revolution.
"In the autumn of 1775, when Montgomery captured St. John's, the garrison included part of this regiment, who were confined at Ticonderoga, where this Badge was found. In 1776, these prisoners were exchanged adn camped on Staten Island. The regiment was disbanded in 1779."
Gift of Captain Howland Pell, 1920
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024