Overall: 1 3/4 x 7/8 in. ( 4.4 x 2.2 cm )
Brass cartridge-box badge excavated at Fort Haldimand; brass badge in the shape of a nine.
This badge was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The badge was affixed to the cartridge-box of a soldier with a detachment of the 9th Regiment which stayed in Canada when the rest of the regiment went south with Burgoyne in 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.