Cannonball in envelope, Calver
Overall: 3 in. ( 7.6 cm )
This cannonball was found near Riflemens' Redoubt in Fort Washington Park, Manhattan. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, Fort Washington extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured by British and Hessian forces on November 16, 1776, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Gift of Mr. Meinrad Broghammer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.