Fruitwood, silver, brass, iron
Overall: 34 7/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 88.6 x 3.2 cm )
Wooden cane with tapered shaft, chased silver handle, and brass ferrule with iron tip.
This cane was made from the Stuyvesant pear tree, which was planted by Director-General Peter Stuyvesant from a sapling brought from Holland. The tree bore fruit at the northeast corner of Third Avenue and 13th Street for more than two centuries. It was removed in 1867 after being severely damaged in a carriage accident. Pieces of the tree, large and small, were saved as relics.
Bequest of Gerard Stuyvesant
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.