Wrought iron candleholder and rushlight holder on tripod stand.
A rushlight consisted of rush stripped of its outer skin and dried, then saturated in hot grease or fat and burned for light. This device, which is designed to hold a candle as well as a rushlight, was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024