Camp Harrison, Near Cincinnati on the Hamilton-Dayton Railroad
Graphite on two sheets of ivory paper glued together
Overall: 5 1/2 x 7 5/8 in. (14 x 19.4 cm)
Inscribed at center in graphite: "Camp Harrison / Harrison 6 miles from Cinc. on the Hamilton & Taylor Railroad / Trolling Park / same grounds as used by U. S. fair --"; at upper left: "There is no troops to leave, as Cinc. is/ considered in danger --"; various additional annotations
Civil War Drawings Collection. Engraved for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, 18 May 1861 (XII:287): 4-13[sic "5"], as "Camp Harrison, Six Miles from Cincinnati, Ohio, on the land of the Hamilton and Dayton Railroad...". The post was named for former president William Henry Harrison, who was from North Bend, Ohio. The soldiers at Camp Harrison usually remained at the camp for only a short training before being shipped off to assignments in the South. The initial post commander was Ohio militia Brig. Gen. Joshua H. Bates.
James B. Wilbur Fund
John T. Kavanaugh Collection, Rutherford, New Jersey, 1945
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.