Buttons (9) excavated at West Point
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
stamped: (247), front of button: "2" (probably 2nd Connecticut Regiment) stamped: (250), front of button: "3" (probably 3rd Connecticut Regiment) stamped: (251), front of button: "3" (probably 3rd Connecticut Regiment)
Pewter buttons excavated at West Point; disk-shaped; most are solid but two are hollow; two have embossed floral decorations and rope border designs; three are inscribed with the numbers of their regiment.
These buttons were excavated in 1924 by the Field Exploration Committee from the Revolutionary War redoubts at West Point, a series of barracks and redoubts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. The buttons were worn by soldiers, and decorated buttons were possibly worn by officers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.