Buttons (16) excavated at West Point
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Pewter or brass buttons excavated at West Point; large or small disks; two buttons have floral decorations and one has roped border design; one button is octagon-shaped with a beaded border design; the brass button has a small circle of engraved lines in the center.
These buttons were excavated in 1924 by the Field Exploration Committee from the refuse pit of the Revolutionary War barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. The buttons were worn by soldiers, and some were possibly exported from France as part of the military aid sent to America after 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.