Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Pewter button; floral design on front.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. The buttons were not stamped with regiment numbers, indicating that they belonged to Hessians. The Erb-Prinz Regiment camped at the site from at least July, 1778 until 1781.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.