Iron bullet molds; flat, leaf-shaped arms that extend through rectangular hinges to two circular molds that press together.
These bullet molds were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at a military camp at 238th Street and Riverdale Avenue in the Bronx, New York City. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian forces until its abandonment in 1779.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024