Buckles (36) excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and camp
largest: 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 3/4 in. ( 5.7 x 5.7 x 1.9 cm )
stamped: (130), on tongue, bottom of buckle: "DEPST"
Bronze and iron buckles excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan; includes bronze belt buckles, and bronze or iron knee and shoe buckles; some knee and shoe buckles are decorated with impressed floral designs; one shoe buckle is inscribed.
These buckles were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics ( case 3, No. 230) in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. The decorated knee and shoe buckles probably belong to British and Hessian officers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.