Buckles (3) excavated at various Revolutionary War sites
largest: 2 x 1 1/4 in. ( 5.1 x 3.2 cm )
Iron or pewter buckles and buckle fragments excavated at various Revolutionary War sites in Washington Heights; includes a pierced, decorated pewter shoe buckle frame, an iron knee buckle, and an iron shoe buckle chape with tongue.
These buckles were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at various sites in Washington Heights. They were stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. The decorated shoe buckle possibly belonged to an officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.