Brooch excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 7/8 x 5/8 in. ( 2.2 x 1.6 cm )
Brass brooch excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; heart-shaped and pierced along the edges; pierced floral decoration at top; hinge for pin on back.
This brooch was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. It probably belonged to a soldier's wife or other member of his family living in the camp, or to another woman living or working in the camp.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.