Brass ornament excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 3/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 3.5 x 3.2 cm )
Brass ornament excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; heart-shaped with three hooks on back.
This ornament was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. The ornament was probably used to fasten in place the skirt lapels of uniform coats belonging to British soldiers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.