Brass object excavated in New York City
Overall: 1 1/8 x 1/2 in. ( 2.9 x 1.3 cm )
Brass object; small, L-shaped.
This object was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The object is possibly a watch-key, and may have belonged to a British or Hessian officer encamped near the fort.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.