Berry dish and sherbert cup
Overall: 1 1/8 x 5 1/4 in. ( 2.9 x 13.3 cm )
inscriptions: Marked in print "J. W. BOTELER & BRO." on cup (Washington, DC retailers)
Circular shallow hard-paste porcelain berry dish with scalloped edge; central eagle with sunlight breaking through clouds behind; eagle perched on shield with banner inscribed "E PLURIBUS UNUM" below (arms of the United States); inner border of royal purple ("Solferino") with gold dots; outer border with gold cable design; gilded edge.
This berry dish, along with a footed after-dinner coffee cup, were part of the White House china service used by Ulysses S. Grant. Mrs. Abraham Lincoln first ordered china in this pattern in 1861, and it was subsequently reordered by President Johnson in 1865, President Grant in 1873 and President Arthur in 1884. The mark of the Washington retailer J.W. Boteler & Bro. of Washington (on the coffee cup) identifies these pieces as part of the Grant service.
Bequest of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.