Overall: 1 1/8 x 2 in. ( 2.9 x 5.1 cm )
Brass belt clasp excavated at Fort Haldimand; square on bottom with two lobes across top; engraved design of belt buckle on front.
This belt clasp was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The clasp attached a belt buckle to a belt; the engraved decoration was made by the soldier who wore the belt.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.