Bell crown cap
Overall: 8 x 11 x 9 3/4 in. ( 20.3 x 27.9 x 24.8 cm )
Bell-crowned leather cap with visor; chin strap with silver plates of graduated size with each end terminating in a circular button with embossed eagle and leaf border where strap is joined to side of hat; braided silver cord draped in front and back with two tassels suspended at right; metal cockade of domed shape with starburst design attached at center front, just below upper edge; hole for pompon pierced in edge of top above cockade; missing pompon and eagle insignia.
According to the accession records, this cap was worn by a member of the Albany Burgesses Corps, which was organized October 8, 1833, at Albany, New York. This militia unit was composed of middle- and upper-class citizens and renowned for its military glamor, its precision drilling, and its sumptuous entertainment (see "Military Uniforms in America," vol. 3, p. 22).
Gift of Harry McNeill Bland
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.