Brass, wood, copper, iron
Overall: 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 in. ( 23.5 x 13.3 cm )
Brass bell engraved with turned wood baluster handle with copper terminus, with wrought iron hook and cast iron clapper.
According to accession records, Thomas Hunter (1831-1915) came to New York in 1850 and obtained a position as a teacher at Grammar School No. 35, where he later became the principal in 1857. He organized the Normal College in 1870, which became Hunter College in 1914. The Thomas Hunter Association, organized in 1897, was made up of the graduates of Grammar School No. 35.
Gift of the Thomas Hunter Association (of Grammar School No. 35)
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.