Barrier Gate, McGown's Pass, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, graphite, and scratching out with touches of gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.17)
Overall: 11 3/4 x 30 3/4 in. (29.8 x 78.1 cm)
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "Gate at McGowan's [sic] Pass."; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 10."
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan. This is an interior view of the Barrier Gate with the blockhouse above in the line of entrenchments between Fort Clinton and Nutter's battery. The roadway is the old Post Road.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.