Banner w/ dowel: Army Supply Base
Cotton, wood, metal finials
Overall: 63 x 41 x 1 in. ( 160 x 104.1 x 2.5 cm )
sewn: center: "ARMY/ SUPPLY/ BASE"
Red cotton pennant with the inscription, "ARMY/ SUPPLY/ BASE" sewn on in white cotton letters; a wooden pole is strung through the top with metal acorn finials at each end; a metal ring is attached at the center for hanging.
This pennant is part of a set made with all of the names of the buildings designed by Cass Gilbert (1859-1934). Gilbert was an architect and surveyor. He worked early in his career as a draftsman for McKim, Meade and White. He later moved to Minnesota, and in 1882 won the competition for his design of the State Capitol. He returned to New York and is best known for the Woolworth Building (1913) in lower Manhattan.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.