Balustrade section from Federal Hall, New York
Painted wrought iron
Overall: 37 9/16 x 70 x 1 3/4 in. ( 95.4 x 177.8 x 4.4 cm )
Wrought iron railing from Federal Hall, New York City; rectangular section with molded upper rail above band of circles with foliate scrolls surrounding central cartouche with fan of thirteen arrows above band of ovals above square base rail; remains of yellow-gold paint; currently mounted on a later oak base.
This is the center section of the balcony railing of Federal Hall, where Washington was inaugurated as first President of the U.S. on April 30, 1789. The railing was removed when Federal Hall was demolished in 1812 and incorporated into a portico on the Administrative Building at Bellevue Hospital. It was removed in 1883, and presented to the N-YHS the following year.
Ledes, Allison E., ed. "The Magazine Antiques: January 2005." New York: Brant Publications, Inc., 2005.
Gift of the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.