Ball from the steeple of the Garden Street Church
Wood, metal, paint
Overall: 8 x 7 3/4 in. ( 20.3 x 19.7 cm )
handwritten: in black ink: "The upper ball from the steeple of Garden Street Church, burnt in the great conflagration at New York, on the 16th and 17th of December 1835 in which was destroyed 650 buildings and $20,000,000 of property."
Hollow metal ball painted gold set on black painted wood circular stand.
The Garden Street Dutch Reformed Church, located on what is now Exchange Place, was built in 1693 to replace the garrison church after its appropriation by the British. The congregation was granted a full charter as the Dutch Church in America by King William III of England on May 19, 1696. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1835, though this ball from the steeple survived. It was given to the donor by Dr. George Alexander, minister of the First Presbyterian Church.
Gift of Edgar F. Ronig, D. D.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.