Badge: ...Chief of Police
Wood, paint, wire
Overall: 1/2 x 3 3/4 in. ( 1.3 x 9.5 cm )
painted: on obverse: "G. W. MATSELL / Chief / OF / POLICE"
Eight-pointed wooden star with obverse painted gold and "G. W. MATSELL CHIEF OF POLICE" inscribed in black; copper wire attached to back.
According to the accession records, this badge was used by George Washington Matsell (1811-1877), the first Chief of Municipal Police in New York City (1845-1957). This badge, along with other objects associated with Matsell, including two batons, four police clubs, and a sword and scabbard, was purchased by the Society from Lawrence Brothers in Anamosa, Iowa, in 1949.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.