Overall: 1 x 2 x 4 in. ( 2.5 x 5.1 x 10.2 cm )
inscribed: on reverse: "Members Pass Not Transferrable. 294."
Badge: "Coney Island Jockey Club 1880...294"
In the late 19th century, New York's wealthy and fashionable frequented posh hotels in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach. They searched for lodging with a first-class race track nearby. Well-known horsemen, including August Belmont and W.K. Vanderbilt were involved in opening the Coney Island Jockey Club's Sheepshead Bay race track in 1880. In 1915, responding to another fad, the racetrack was replaced by the Sheepshead Bay Speedway, which was demolished in 1923.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.