Ax head excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut
overall: 9 1/2 x 4 1/8 in.
Iron ax head.
This ax head was excavated in May, 1913 by Reginald P. Bolton and others in a military hut near Fort Washington, at 183rd Street east of Fort Washington Avenue. Built in the summer of 1776 by the Continental Army, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was garrisoned by them until evacuation in 1783. The hut was probably occupied by officers of the garrison.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.