Ax head excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 3 1/4 x 5 5/8 in. ( 8.3 x 14.3 cm )
Iron ax head excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
This ax head was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, which extended between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street in Washington Heights. Soldiers would have used the ax to cut wood for huts and fortifications.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.