Ceramic, textile, paper, leather, metal, paint
Overall: 9 x 8 3/4 in. ( 22.9 x 22.2 cm )
printed: around edge of base: "Patented July 15, 1862 ; also, in Europe, 20 Dec. 1862 ."
Walking doll with bisque shoulder head, yellow molded hair, blue painted eyes, closed mouth, and pink tinted cheeks; torso and skirt form made of fabric glued to stiff backing (possibly cardboard) concealing clockwork mechanism underneath, with hole at side of form for key; biscuit-colored, short-sleeved shirtwaist with purple ribbon sash and gathered skirt sewn on at waist, over stiff form; brass leg casings shaped like boots extend from bottom of "skirt."
The mechanism was patented in 1862 by Enoch Rice Morrison. Most of the dolls made under this patent were apparently manufactured by Martin & Runyan, a New York firm, but Caroline Goodfellow conjectures that others were probably made by several people (See Publications).
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.