Overall: 5 1/2 x 6 3/4 in. ( 14 x 17.1 cm )
stamped: along the edge: "Luchow's Restaurant. Since 1882 New York City." stamped: on the base: "GERMANY"
Ceramic ashtray in the form of a circular dish with a stein in the center; stein decorated with two images of men with pipes drinking beer; inscribed around the edge, "Luchow's Restaurant. Since 1882 New York City."
The ashtray was purchased by donor's mother in the restuarant inthe 1960's, when it was on 14th street at Irving Place. The restaurant, the best known German restaurant in New York City opened in 1882 and became a popular spot for entertainment celebrities. The decor was reminiscent of a German Beer Hall, "oompah" bands played constantly, and the waiters wore lederhosen year round. Luchow's moved uptown in 1982 and closed in 1984.
Gift of Paul F. Beelitz
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.