Artillery shell fragment
Overall: 4 1/8 x 7/8 in. ( 10.5 x 2.2 cm )
Iron artillery shell fragment.
This artillery shell fragment was found in 1906 at the Colonial Nagel house, at 213th Street near the Harlem River in Inwood, Manhattan. It was probably fired by British or American artillery forces during the British conquest of Manhattan island in the fall of 1776.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.