Arsenal at Augusta, Georgia, with Members of the Clinch Rifles of the Fifth Georgia Infantry; verso: two uniform studies
Graphite and black ink wash on paper
Overall: 10 13/16 x 14 5/8 in. (27.5 x 37.1 cm)
Inscribed at upper in brown ink: "Arsenal at Augusta, Ga."; lengthy description below in graphite concerning, among other things, the Clinch Rifles; verso inscribed several times with descriptions of uniforms of the Oglethorpe Infantry
Civil War Drawings Collection. Engraved for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, 2 March 1861(275:XI):237, as "Clinch Rifles Review on the Parade Ground of the Arsenal, Augusta, Georgia." A rare Confederate view of a dress review of the 5th Gerogia infantry, also called the Clinch Rifles, after General Duncan L. Clinch, the commander during the Seminole Wars (1835-1836). The unit was organized on May 11th, 1861, with further companies joining the unit during the following year, .
James B. Wilbur Fund
John T. Kavanaugh Collection, Rutherford, New Jersey, 1945
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.