Overall: 33 x 20 x 21 in. ( 83.8 x 50.8 x 53.3 cm )
Pair of mahogany neoclassical armchairs; scroll back with a scrolled tablet crest rail with an inset maple panel above a pierced and carved floral and foliate splat, scrolled and molded arms with "C"-shaped supports; caned trapezoidal seat; molded sabre legs.
These chairs were originally owned by Luman Reed (1787-1836), a wealthy merchant and art patron who moved to New York City in 1815. His seminal collection of American and European painting was acquired by the Society in 1858.
Purchase, Hoffman Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.