Alexander Hamilton (1757-1804)
Overall: 29 3/4 x 10 1/4 x 9 in. (75.6 x 26 x 22.9 cm)
Standing figure of Alexander Hamilton; metallic painted finish.
Robert Ball Hughes' plaster statuette of Alexander Hamilton is a reduction of the marble statue that Hughes produced for the rotunda of the Merchants' Exchange in 1835. The first marble portrait statue carved in the United States, the figure was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1835 only eight months later. Only three other plaster reductions are known (Museum of the City of New York, Detroit Institute, and Schuyler Mansion), as well as a later marble (Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts). This reduction was owned by the New York Chamber of Commerce (founded in 1768), which merged with the Partnership for New York City in 1979.
Gift of the Partnership for New York City
New York Chamber of Commerce
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.