Overall: 3 3/4 x 2 7/16 in. (9.6 x 6.2 cm)
Back: The WHITEHEAD & HOAG Co. NEWARK, N.J. / PAT. JUNE 6, 1905
Advertising notepad with celluloid front and back covers for the Commercial National Bank of Syracuse. Front cover features the initials "CNB" inside a frame with flowers. Back cover includes a 1910 calendar with text: THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. NEWARK, N.J. / PAT. JUNE 6, 1905
Celluloid, the first entirely synthetic plastic, was invented by John Wesley Hyatt (1837-1920) of Albany in 1869. It is created from nitrocellulose and camphor along with dyes and other agents. Hyatt first developed the material as a less expensive alternative to ivory in the production of billiard balls. Hyatt's invention was patented in 1869 and subsequently used for a wide range of objects, both in imitation of expensive animal products like ivory, horn, and tortoiseshell, and also as an inexpensive medium for objects such as dresser sets, jewelry, picture frames, and advertising giveaways. Celluloid, which is both flammable and fragile, was gradually supplanted by the stronger Bakelite in the 1920s. Celluloid continues to be used today for making Ping Pong balls and guitar picks.
Gift of Dadie and Norman Perlov and Daughters
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.