1 from set of 9 Side chairs
Overall: 32 1/2 x 18 x 17 1/4 in. ( 82.6 x 45.7 x 43.8 cm )
Poplar Windsor side chair with traces of paint; open back with tablet and a single slat supported by four turned spindles; plank seat with rounded edge; ring-turned legs braced by ring-turned front stretcher and plain, round side and back stretchers.
According to the accession records, this chair was part of a set used in the country home of the Reverend Samuel Jones (1737-1811), great-great-grandfather of the donor. However, the set was clearly manufactured after 1811. The donor's father, Robert Jones Henderson (1835-1884), inherited the furniture and brought it to New York.
Gift of Mrs. Irving McKesson
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.