Education Floor Manager (PT)
JOB TITLE: Floor Manager (Part-Time)
REPORTS TO: Manager of School Programs
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The New-York Historical Society is seeking a part-time Floor Manager to work closely with the School Programs staff to oversee the daily logistics of school programs. Floor Managers also provide administrative support to the School Programs staff as well as the wider Education Division on an as-needed basis.
The collections of the New-York Historical Society support programming that covers 400 years of New York and American history. Drawing on said world-renowned collections and a staff of passionate professionals, N-YHS Education engages learners of all ages in the study of our collective past to deepen content knowledge, develop 21st century skills, and foster an empowered and engaged citizenry. We believe in the power of authentic historical study to spark curiosity and creativity, to promote cultural understanding, and to strengthen our democracy.
Under the supervision of the Manager of School Programs, Floor Managers facilitate school group arrivals, payment collections, and communication with teachers/schools. N-YHS provides extensive, rigorous training upon hiring and throughout the school year.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for logistics and a dedication to providing superior customer service. Floor Managers must be available to work between the hours of 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM Monday-Friday in order to be considered.
EDUCATION: B.A./B.S. required
- Experience working with children
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Superb decision making skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Must be available at least three weekdays
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Oversee logistics of classroom and orientation spaces and school programs materials.
- Coordinate daily schedule with the Manager of School Programs and troubleshoot any potential conflicts or problems.
- Answer school programs phone line and emails to handle basic questions and book field trips under direction of Manager of School Programs
- Oversee daily school programs logistics: greet teachers and students; direct groups to assigned educator; ensure programs are running on time.
- Complete School Programs administrative tasks, including but not limited to: teacher reminder calls, filing, database entry, etc.
- Keep a record of daily headcount and report total numbers to Visitor Services
- Complete other administrative tasks as needed. Additional duties as requested.
COMPENSATION: $18 an hour, part-time position
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position will require the employee to lift (up to 25 lbs), bend, stoop, walk, speak and stand for up to 7 hours in a day. Sedentary computer work is also required.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Applications close August 30, 2019.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer